Oakcrossing – Director of Care
Who is peopleCare?
peopleCare is a stable family owned long-term care organization whose compassionate skilled team is dedicated to supporting individualized lifestyles in a welcoming community that enhances the quality of life all people touched by our services.
peopleCare strives to be the recognized leader in what long-term care should be by building on the momentum of attracting and following through on opportunities; harnessing vitality and freshness across all our sites and their communications, and ensuring that we bring our people with us.
We are a place where excellence, people, integrity, and professionalism are not just words but a way of life. We work in an atmosphere of teamwork; compassion and support that leaves you to feel great at the end of each workday.
peopleCare has been awarded one of Canada’s best-managed companies three years in a row. We are one of the most engaged and committed employee workforces in Canada. Every person touched by our service is treated with care and respect; with an emphasis on independence, wellness, recognition, education and mentoring.
Our people look and act with skills, knowledge and positive attitude, both internally and externally, befitting the quality customer service of a peopleCare team member. We have a passion to consistently exceed resident, family and coworkers expectations. Our people will change the world of senior living.
These are exciting times at peopleCare! We are growing exponentially as we expand our horizons and open up a new world of opportunities for our dedicated and committed be part of.
What is the role?
As a member of the peopleCare Management team, this position is directly responsible to the Executive Director for the management and leadership of resident care and services. The Director of Nursing/Executive Director of Nursing will ensure adherence to the respective regulations and legislation in the Long-Term Care Act, 2007 and Regulation79/10, the Resident’s Bill of Rights, mandatory programs, the standards set by the College of Nurses of Ontario and the home’s mission, vision, values, and policies.
Reports to: Executive Director
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
• Administers long-term strategic plans for nursing, including relationships, philosophies, and communications.
• Directs the implementation and review of relevant company policies, procedures, and processes required to meet government legislation and industry standards.
• Ensures all residents receive care and services according to their needs and according to the LTCH Act and Regulation.
• Monitors the quality of nursing services using quality indicators from a variety of sources (nursing clinical indicators, facility chosen CIHI, RAI-MDS) the tools provided for in the quality assurance program
• Implements goals and objectives to achieve the corporate vision for resident care and services
• Ensures risk management process is adhered to by reviewing staff and resident incident reports, monthly indicators, MOHLTC compliance reviews, Public Health Inspections, Ministry of Labour inspections, Accreditation reports, etc.
• Ensures all nursing staff receive regularly written performance appraisals
• Ensures and implements evaluation of Nursing Programs in the Home
• Ensures evidence-based and best practice standards are used to guide care and decision making.
• Ensures department complies with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and any Collective Agreements (if applicable).
• Ensures nursing department maintains a safe work environment through implementation of safe work practices and service guidelines.
• Ensures appropriate and adequate staffing plan for the nursing department through hiring, retention, training and assigning of nursing department employees. This includes appropriate registration or qualifications of staff in the nursing department.
• Recommends and participates in the termination of nursing staff according to facility policies, procedures, and collective agreements
• Ensures staff competency by reviewing certification compliance
• Ensures appropriate documentation and maintenance of records including resident health records, personnel records etc.
• Acts as a liaison with Ministry Officials, CCAC, other clinical services, support services, external agencies including research and professional associations in relation to the needs/care of residents
• Carries out duties as assigned in policies and procedures of peopleCare.
• Delegates clinical and managerial responsibilities according to applicable legislation and standards of the College of Nurses of Ontario
• Coordinates assigned aspects of new projects or undertakings in the nursing department
• Provides feedback and input into contracts and purchased services for the Home
• Accountable for financial fiscal responsibility through diligent management of budget within identified parameters
• Provides direction and leadership to subordinates
• Assists with development of succession plans and identifies employees with growth potential for development
• Assumes facility responsibility in the absence of the Executive Director
Education and Experience
• Post Secondary Degree or Diploma (Health or Social Services Preferred)
• Cleared Step 2 TB Test (As per MoH requirements)
• Cleared Vulnerable Police Screen (As per MoH requirements)
• Completed or Enrolled in a Program in Long Term Care, Administration or Management
• 5 years progressive related experience
• Registered Nurse with current Certificate of Registration from the College of Nurses of Ontario, in good standing
• At least one year of experience working as a registered nurse in the long-term care sector (Reg.79/10,s.213(4))
• At least three years of experience working as a registered nurse in a managerial or supervisory capacity in a healthcare setting; and has demonstrated leadership and communication skills (Reg. 79/10, s.213(4)
• Annual CPR recertification
What are the Rewards?
We offer a competitive compensation package in an environment where we encourage and support continual learning and development and reward excellence in performance with suitable promotions or new responsibilities.