As a member of the peopleCare Communities Leadership Support team, this position reports to the Controller and is responsible for the overall management of Payroll and Benefits functions. This includes the effective management of all unionized and non-unionized payroll processing for all homes under the ownership and management of peopleCare Communities.
peopleCare was honoured as one of Canada’s 50 most engaged employers four years in a row. We are a growing family-based organization in long-term care. We strive to exceed expectations. Our staff are engaged and enthusiastic about providing excellent care to our residents. We are constantly evolving, and encourage out-of-the box thinking and ideas. We are looking for talented people who embrace change with a positive attitude. Offering great wellness and recognition programs is important to us. These are exciting times at peopleCare, and we are growing exponentially as we expand our horizons, and continue to open up a new world of opportunities to honour our mission to change the world of Senior Living!
- Processing bi-weekly payroll for multiple entities
- Work with office managers to ensure Time & Attendance system is properly maintained and that the employee records are complete and accurate.
- Ensure compliance with government legislation and collective bargaining agreements.
- Oversee and coordinate all payroll related activities (ie: new hires, terminations, rate changes, garnishment etc.) including liaising with the payroll service provider to ensure the bi-weekly payroll is processed accurately and in a timely manner
- Respond to payroll queries in a timely and professional manner
- Maintain strong internal control environment to ensure transactions are properly authorized and supported.
- Review payroll processing reports to identify errors and take corrective action
- Coordinate year-end payroll process including T4/T4A’s, EHT Annual Return, WSIB, annual total income/benefit statements, payroll and tax account reconciliations
- Prepare HR and management reports using multiple sources
- Liaise with payroll provider to resolve payroll issues and implement solutions
- Administer full cycle of benefits plans including multiple Registered Pension Plans and RRSP
- Ensure benefit accounts are reconciled and remittances are processed
- Support the documentation of all payroll and benefit procedures
- Develop/improve payroll procedures and processes
- Support implementation of new systems and processes
- Other tasks as required
- Post-secondary education in payroll, accounting, or related business program
- Successful completion of Canadian Payroll Association certification, a designation of CPM (preferred)
- Minimum 3-5 years experience in a multi-location environment, including experience with hourly and salaried payroll
- A good understanding of collective agreements
- Experience implementing a new payroll system will be considered an asset
- Experience using ADP pay@work and Staff Schedule Care will be considered an asset
- Communication; listening, oral, and written
- Strong computer skills
- Well-organized, self-motivated, high energy, works well under pressure
- Committed, conscientious team player
- Analytical decision making and problem solving