Nursing Students – All Locations!
As the COVID-19 situation rapidly evolves, peopleCare Communities is asking for your support in helping us to proactively connect with potential new candidates to work in our long-term care homes. Specifically, we are looking to hire nursing students as personal support workers (PSWs) in our Homes, as well as Dietary Aides, Cooks, Housekeepers and Laundry Aids, and Recreation Staff. This would help ensure we have the appropriate staff teams to deliver the care that our residents need, lessen the impact on those who are laid off from other industries due to this situation, and is also an excellent opportunity for your students to gain valuable hands-on experience in geriatric care.
These are challenging times and we appreciate your support and partnership in working with us to ensure the needs of our local vulnerable seniors are met. Our Homes are located across Ontario and all locations are looking for additional support at this time.
As a member of the nursing team, this position works under the direction of the Registered Nurse / Registered Practical Nurse while providing personal care to residents in assigned areas in accordance with individual resident care plans. The position complies with all legislative standards, company policies/procedures and rules/regulations in a professional manner.
Reports to: Registered Nurse/Registered Practical Nurse
- Under the direction of the registered nursing staff, provides personal care to promote the comfort and safety of residents. Some typical activities include bathing, skin care, toileting, mouth care, dressing/undressing, grooming, shaving, nail and hair care. Provides physical assistance to residents as required.
- Under direction, performs selected procedures such as administering enemas and suppositories, collecting specimens and recording vital signs. Reports all findings to registered staff.
- Assists in the maintenance of a clean, safe environment. Some typical activities include making beds, cleaning bedside units, collecting/bagging soiled linen for dispatch to laundry, sorting and storing clean linen, emptying bedpans and removal of unsafe objects etc.
- Consults with and informs supervisor of unit activities, needs and problems related to resident care.
- Assists in providing restorative care for residents, assists with ambulation, nutritional needs and palliative care.
- Encourages participation in life enrichment programs by preparing residents for and assisting them to and from activities.
- Assists with admission, discharge and transfer of residents.
- Assists with meal service to residents and provides feeding assistance as required.
- Provides emotional/social support for residents.
- Assists in the maintenance and proper care of nursing equipment.
- Participates in resident care conferences and committees as required.
- Documents resident care activities in accordance with the home’s policy using software such as PCC.
- Adheres to established department policies and procedures regarding quality assurance, safety, environment and infection control.
- Displays an attitude that is focused on working safely and ensuring that the work environment is safe and healthy.
- Uses safe work practices.
- Reports any actual or potential hazard to the immediate supervisor.
- Uses or wears personal protective equipment (or clothing) as required.
- Promptly reports personal injury to supervisor and seeks first aid as needed.
- Participates in fire safety activities and knows the facility fire and disaster plan.
- Maintains a clean and orderly work area.
- Does not use or operate any equipment in a way that would endanger any worker, resident or visitor.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Every new employee hired by peopleCare to work as a PSW must have successfully completed a Personal Support Worker program that meets requirements of Long Term Care Health Act: Reg. 47 or meet the criteria in 47(3).
- High School Diploma (or equivalent)
- Experience in Long-Term Care considered an asset
- Food Handler certification
- First Aid certification
- Must possess strong written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills
- Strong interpersonal and customer focus skills
- Must have demonstrated sound skills and knowledge of providing personal care duties
- Ability to perform tasks that are necessary for the position, e.g. lifting/transferring clients