RN/RPN Students – Oakcrossing Long Term Care
As a member of the nursing team, this position works under the direction of the Registered Nurse / Registered Practical Nurse while providing personal care to residents in assigned areas in accordance with individual resident care plans. The position complies with all legislative standards, company policies/procedures and rules/regulations in a professional manner.
Reports to: Registered Nurse/Registered Practical Nurse
- Under the direction of the registered nursing staff, provides personal care to promote the comfort and safety of residents. Some typical activities include bathing, skin care, toileting, mouth care, dressing/undressing, grooming, shaving, nail and hair care. Provides physical assistance to residents as required.
- Under direction, performs selected procedures such as administering enemas and suppositories, collecting specimens and recording vital signs. Reports all findings to registered staff.
- Assists in the maintenance of a clean, safe environment. Some typical activities include making beds, cleaning bedside units, collecting/bagging soiled linen for dispatch to laundry, sorting and storing clean linen, emptying bedpans and removal of unsafe objects etc.
- Consults with and informs supervisor of unit activities, needs and problems related to resident care.
- Assists in providing restorative care for residents, assists with ambulation, nutritional needs and palliative care.
- Encourages participation in life enrichment programs by preparing residents for and assisting them to and from activities.
- Assists with admission, discharge and transfer of residents.
- Assists with meal service to residents and provides feeding assistance as required.
- Provides emotional/social support for residents.
- Assists in the maintenance and proper care of nursing equipment.
- Participates in resident care conferences and committees as required.
- Documents resident care activities in accordance with the home’s policy using software such as PCC.
- Adheres to established department policies and procedures regarding quality assurance, safety, environment and infection control.
- Displays an attitude that is focused on working safely and ensuring that the work environment is safe and healthy.
- Uses safe work practices.
- Reports any actual or potential hazard to the immediate supervisor.
- Uses or wears personal protective equipment (or clothing) as required.
- Promptly reports personal injury to supervisor and seeks first aid as needed.
- Participates in fire safety activities and knows the facility fire and disaster plan.
- Maintains a clean and orderly work area.
- Does not use or operate any equipment in a way that would endanger any worker, resident or visitor.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Every new employee hired by peopleCare to work as a PSW must have successfully completed a Personal Support Worker program that meets requirements of Long Term Care Health Act: Reg. 47 or meet the criteria in 47(3).
- High School Diploma (or equivalent)
- Experience in Long-Term Care considered an asset
- Food Handler certification
- First Aid certification
- Must possess strong written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills
- Strong interpersonal and customer focus skills
- Must have demonstrated sound skills and knowledge of providing personal care duties
- Ability to perform tasks that are necessary for the position, e.g. lifting/transferring clients